This was an EPIC find and something I didn’t even know was possible. Throw in a few nuts and some chocolate and you have yourself a fantastic “banana split”. The original recipe and all the credit can be found HERE.
- 3 ripe bananas;
- Optional for garnishing: fresh fruit cut into chunks, coconut flakes, shaved dark chocolate, chopped nuts, orange zest etc…
- Start by peeling the bananas and cutting them into even slices.
- Place the slices in a glass bowl and into the freezer overnight.
- You could also use already frozen bananas and just heat them up a bit to make them soft enough to cut out of the peel.
- Place the frozen banana slices in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. This process will take a while and you’ll have to scrape down the side of your food processor multiple times with a spatula.
- The bananas may become very crumbly, but you’ll eventually end up with a very soft and creamy mixture.
- At this point, place back in the glass bowl and in the freezer for just about an hour. You can of course always enjoy it right away if you like very soft ice cream.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve.
- Make sure the bananas are RIPE… I made the mistake the second time not using ripe bananas and i basically had to throw it out. The texture and consistency was just off. The first time you could scoop it like ice cream into a cone.
- Walnuts made the best nut topping.