This was a amazing new recipe we came across when I was struggling to find new things to eat because of my allergies. At first glance we weren’t sure but it turned out way better then I thought it would. The original recipe and all the credit for this one can be found HERE
- 8 good quality sausages (beef, pork, or game meat)
- 8 good quality bacon slices
- 1 cup of mixed berries
- 2 to 3 apples, cut into wedges
- Cooking fat
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Roll one slice of bacon around each sausage, and tie with cooking twine.
- Melt some cooking fat in a Dutch oven or roasting pan over a high heat. I ended up just using a frying pan and moving the drippings and sausages into the Dutch/Roasting pan.
- Brown each sausage on all sides.
- Place the Dutch oven or pan in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Toss in the apples and berries, and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- We used fairly thick bacon but that wasn’t the best. In this case I actually think thin and cheeper bacon would be better (more fat)
- Because of my allergies we used smokies and it worked just as well, but I do think sausages work better.