This was #2 of my 52 week challenge. The recipe comes from “Taco Night by Willams-Sonoma” and if you like it PLEASE buy the book. There is a ton of epic recipes in this book. I did modify the original recipe with regards to the protein (I bought the wrong thing) but it turned out FANTASTIC.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 white onion, cut into chunks
- 1 ripe pear, cored and shredded
- Koser sals an fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lb bone in short ribs (think one chunk per person)
- 2 cups shredded romain lettuce
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 green onions
- 2-3 corn tortillas per person
- Also see DRESSING and SAUCE
THE KOREAN SHORT RIBS
- Place the following ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make sure it has a lid because your going to put it in the refrigerator OVER NIGHT
- soy sauce
- sesame seeds
- white onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peper
- Mix everything together well.
- Rinse and pat-dry the ribs and add them to the bowl of marinade and place the whole thing in the fridge.
- Early the next morning take out your crock pot and plug it in.
- Take the short ribs out of marinade and with either a pan or on the BBQ, sear the ribs on all sides. NOTE: Make sure your careful not to COOK the ribs. You just want to get light grill marks on each side. Take the marinade and place it in the crockpot
- Take your seared ribs and add it to the crockpot and the marinade.
- Set the crockpot to low and let it sit for at least 8 hours, or until the meat can be pulled off the bone (think pulled pork)
THE CRUNCH ASIAN SLAW
- Take the following ingredients and place them in a bowl.
- romain lettuce
- red cabbage
- green onions
- Place the bowl to the side and prepare the dressing.
- To make the dressing combine the following ingredients in a food processor
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 3 green onions
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- With the food processor running drizzle in 2 tbsp of olive oil in a steady stream.
- Set aside in a small dish or jar
- Mix together 1 tsp of Sriracha with 3 tbsp of sour cream and set aside.
- Take your bowl of Asian Slaw
- Add half of the sauce
- Add as much of the dressing as you want
- Place the bowl on the table
- Place the left over sauce on the table
- Heat your corn tortilla shells
- Remove the short ribs and place them on a cutting board
- Shredded the meat with a fork and place the meat in a bowl and place it on the table
- Take rendered onion mixture from the crock pot and place it on the table
KOREAN SHORT RIB TACOS WITH CRUNCHY ASIAN SLAW
- Take a corn tortilla
- place Korean short rib
- add a bit of slaw
- top with some of the rendered mixture and/or sauce
- TAKE A BIG BITE
- You could make the slaw early and let it sit like traditional coleslaw. It may lose some of the crunch but we wondered if the added flavour would be worth it.
- The Dressing also make a good sauce for the tacos
- You could try this with a different cut of meat. We are convinced it would work well with any kind of bone-in meat that would need an extended cook time.
- We had a HUGE white onion and only used half. So don’t be afraid to make adjustments on the onion side. However I will say as someone who DOES NOT really like onions they are essential to this recipe.