- 16 slices firm white bread cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (or Neufchatel cheese), softened
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup white sugar (you can use less)
- 2-3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread cream cheese over the bread slices & cut into 1″ cubes. Arrange 1/2 the cubes in the baking dish. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining break cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Pour over the bread cubes, ensuring all the bread is saturated. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350º. Sprinkle the topping mix over the bread mixture.
- Cover with the foil, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25-30 minutes, until centre is firm and surface is golden brown & centre is set.
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch, and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3-4 minutes. Mix in 2 cups blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter. Serve with the baked French Toast.
- Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook Time: 60-75 minutes; Ready in: Must sit overnight
- Don’t get to caught up in the amount of blueberries and cream cheese. Both can be adjusted a fair bit to your taste. However the more cream cheese there is the better 🙂
- We add a bit of cinnamon/nutmeg sprinkled on top before you bake it.