This was the cake I grew up having every year for my birthday. When I was in elementary school my Mom submitted a version of this recipe for the school cook book. Unfortunately, she made a mistake of some kind and for years no one could make this cake without it falling in the middle. Enter Twyla… a few years ago Twyla figured out the issue and made some modifications. However, again some of her changes are based on eyeballing (see FATJESSE NOTES below) a few ingredients. If you are successful, you will have the most moist and chocolatey cake anyone and everyone will love.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder in 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add egg, salt, and vanilla
- Add cocoa mixture and stir
- Add four and beat until smooth
- Pour into a greased cake pan and bake for 30min.
- The1/3 teaspoon does not actually exist. Twyla just eyeballs a bit more then 1/4 teaspoon.
- You can add chocolate chips to this cake
- If you want to make it like the picture you need some Betty Crocker frosting and sprinkles.